10 Easy ways to cut your energy bills during lockdown
Since lockdown began back in March, the use of electricity at home has, unsurprisingly, soared, and the average household can expect their bills to rise by around £32 a month. So, to help you keep costs from spiralling out of control, the team at Greenstar, Dorset and Hampshire’s leading heating and plumbing specialists, have put together a list of 10 easy steps you can take to lower your energy use at home.
Tips for reducing energy use at home
1) Only use your washing machine when you have a full load and reduce the washing temperature from 40˚ to 30˚.
2) Let your clothes dry naturally rather than using a tumble dryer. On a sunny day, your clothes will be dry in a matter of hours and will help protect your clothes from damage.
3) When buying new home appliances, such as a fridge or TV, choose one with a high energy efficiency rating – it could save you up to £275 a year!
4) Turn down the radiators or adjust your heat settings in the rooms of the home you aren’t using.
5) If your boiler has seen better days, replace it with a newer model – an A-rated boiler can save you up to £350 on your annual heating bill.
6) Even appliances on standby mode or even turned off can use power which, over the year, really adds up, so make sure to unplug all electrics when not in use.
7) Replace traditional light bulbs with LED ones and you can reduce the amount of energy you use on lighting your home by as much as 90%.
8) Power flushing your heating system will clear your radiators and pipes of any blockages helping them to work more efficiently (and it helps prolong the life of your boiler).
9) A simple way to reduce energy use in the kitchen is to cover your pans with their lids. This will trap the heat inside the pan and cook the food faster.
10) Use a microwave to heat up food as it uses around half the energy of an oven.
Greenstar is one of the South’s leading heating specialists, offering effective boiler installations, services and repairs as well as smart thermostat installations. If you need help with your central heating system this winter, call the experienced Gas Safe registered team today on 01202 355 344.